Jan Hammer Talks Mahavishnu, Emerson, Hendrix, Jaco … and Getting the JuJu Happening! – GigGab 68

jan-hammer-with-lync-4by3Jan Hammer joins Paul and Dave today to share his own stories from throughout his life and career. From his start in Prague, the stories flow, including tales about Jan’s experiences with Jeff Beck, Keith Emerson, Jaco Pastorius, Neal Schon, Mahavishnu Orchestra and even Jimi Hendrix. There’s so much packed into these 43 minutes you’ll probably want to listen twice. Enjoy!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

21 comments

1. Martijn Kalf says:

Great interview!! one of the best I’ve heard with Jan

• dave says:

Thanks, Martijn! Glad you enjoyed it. As well, it was a total pleasure to record (as you could probably tell). 🙂

2. Jay Cohen says:

No mention of the brilliant albums “Like Children” or “Oh, Yeah?”???

3. David Allmond says:

Love Jan. I’ve been a fan since the early 70’s. He leaves in the county above me in NY & when I worked part time at Blockbuster Video in Carmel, NY, he would once in a while come in to rent some videos. I was just floored when he would be on my line with his videos to check out.

• Charles McGarry says:

Hey Dave, We used to go hang out outside his barn on Ludingtonville road and listen to him. He was always cool about it as long as we didn’t bother him or make any noise.

• dave says:

So very cool, Charles! Yeah, he’s really a great guy. He did play at the Hollywood Bowl last night with Jeff Beck! 🙂 I’m hoping for some video!

4. […] week we do a quick follow up on Facebook advertising with comments from Dave about ads for the Gig Gab podcast and their interview with Jan Hammer. You’ll hear about some inexpensive ways to get started with Facebook ads and how to keep […]

5. Rahul Roy says:

Killer interview guys….cheers !

6. Mick Hogan says:

Great interview. I’ve never seen Jan live (in Australia) but have enjoyed his playing immensely over many years.

7. Great Interview guys!! Amazing musician Mr. Hammer.
    Love the part about Jimi.

8. Scott Sharon says:

Great interview. I was fortunate to see the first tour of Mahavishnu opening up for ELP. I was familiar with both of their musical output. Mahavishnu blew ELP off the stage. My enjoyment of ELP waned after that show. They seemed like a cartoon band compared to Mahavishnu.

9. Fabio Girão says:

Fantastic interview! That story of the drum gig with Paul Bley… and the rest of the band was Jaco and Pat was amazing! Congrats!

10. David says:

What about the work he did with Jack Bruce?

11. Nothing about the Jan Hammer group years and Oh, Yeah?”

Disappointing !

Interviewer should do some research !

12. Dave Binney says:

Great interview. Wish that Paul Bley gig from Cafe Wha had been recorded!

13. Ken Vaughn says:

The live solo in Freeway Jam is the best in minimoog history bar non.

14. Great interview we appreciate it at http://www.ainian. I’m home of Jeff Beck ‘ s Fansite Linked to his official Fansite @www.jeffbeck.com.

15. Stephen Wilson says:

Would have loved to hear about Colin Hodgkinson and Black Sheep. But the interview was wonderful. There is just never enough time with some guests. …to be able to chat with Jan…

16. David Z says:

Really enjoyed the interview with Jan. It would be great if you could do a few more with him.

%d bloggers like this: