For episode 100, drummer Kenny Aronoff joins to make this the episode with your three favorite working musicians! Kenny’s settles right in and talks about how he manages his crazy schedule, honors commitments, deals with setbacks, and never dwells too much on the past because he is always looking forward to the next thing. Full of more energy than Dave and Paul combined (and that’s saying something!), Kenny shares a lot of his life philosophies, too, which all focus on one thing: self-discipline and hard work. After the interview, we’re almost certain you’re going to want to read Kenny’s book, “Sex, Drums, Rock ‘n’ Roll!: The Hardest Hitting Man in Show Business.” Check it out!
We know you’ll enjoy listening almost as much as we had doing the show. Here’s to another 100!
- 00:00:00 GigGab 100 – January 30, 2017
- 00:01:57 Interview with Kenny Aronoff
- 00:02:28 A sample of Kenny’s crazy schedule
- 00:04:41 Making a film with Steve Bellamy
- 00:05:54 Managing your schedule
- 00:10:14 …and honoring commitments
- 00:15:11 Are you a band guy or lone wolf? Both!
- 00:16:16 Mellencamp Takes a Break… What’s Next?
- 00:19:48 What is your purpose?
- 00:24:00 Sound matters!
- 00:25:11 Save the gig: “Am I still the drummer in your band?”
- 00:26:30 How to play that “Jack & Diane” drum solo
- 00:31:56 What’s the NEXT great song I can play on?
- 00:35:00 Do people want to play and hear the next great song?
- 00:38:30 Do you think anyone’s going to give a shit about a Kanye West Song in 20 years?
- 00:40:51 The long game… takes money
- 00:41:56 There are no shortcuts
- 00:45:14 The pyramids! Why not?
- 00:46:19 There are no participation trophies!
- 00:48:28 Hard work is transportation through life, fueled by passion
- 00:49:25 Be a nice guy and a team player
- 00:50:30 Having Ringo air drumming his parts TO YOU
- 00:52:57 Connections to Bruce and Neil