If at first you don’t succeed, it’s worth asking, “did I believe?”
Well, did you? Gig Gab might help. First, Paul and Dave talk through some of their gigs, both recently and upcoming, as they’re both doing some different stuff that detours from the norm (is there really a norm, outside of Cheers?). Ever have to do a gig without your keyboard player? Your two favorite weekend warriors have, and they talk about what that means for their respective bands.
Then it’s on to taking a step back and thinking about what your bands mean, and to whom. And once you sort that latter part out, well, then you’re ready to start building events for the people that care about you and your bands.
From there it’s a short leap to negotiation. After all, we must believe first before we can discuss that, right?
Right. Press play and we’ll see you there.
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 185 – Monday, October 8, 2018
- 00:00:55 8 Days on Stage… no end in sight
- 00:03:37 Building your own fake book
- 00:07:03 Justifying the erosion of a gig
- 00:07:44 Brechtones… what is it? Stay tuned!
- 00:10:32 Contrasting to “Know your stuff”
- 00:11:29 Picking the right songs for the right cats
- 00:13:46 Communication is the key
- 00:16:10 Expecting more preparation than you’ll really get
- 00:18:10 Talk through endings!
- 00:22:41 The “Missing Man Formation”
- 00:26:09 Are you that good without one member?
- 00:28:54 Be careful with what you put on stage
- 00:32:06 Picking the right gigs
- 00:33:12 Don’t overlook the piano player!
- 00:37:39 Iterating on the concept of Bar Gigs
- 00:42:58 Fighting Your Success with Physics
- 00:45:55 Invest in your audience
- 00:47:21 Changing the deal means changing the deal
- 00:50:24 More people = More money
- 00:52:12 Believe first. Negotiate Second.
- 00:57:17 GG 185 Outtro