Dave Hamilton and Paul Kent start by exploring the delicate balance between maintaining a song’s recorded tempo while injecting additional energy into live performances. They argue that speeding up a tune can give it an edge and serve as a potent device to amplify its vitality, as long as the decision is intentional and not a product of lost control. This allows the band to keep the adrenaline from driving the performance to a state of chaos. Your two favorite weekend warriors further highlight the importance of band chemistry in executing such tempo changes effectively, emphasizing the necessity for each member to feel and respond to the energy collectively.
In the second half of the conversation, the hosts ponder on professional ethics, stressing the importance of mutual support, mentorship, and networking within the music industry. The discussion underscores the significance of respecting established relationships when dealing with club owners or managers and the damaging implications of bypassing the band leader. As they bring the conversation to a close, the hosts focus on the band’s internal dynamics and the necessity of open policies and discussions, even suggesting that musicians might unexpectedly find themselves in business rather than intentionally starting one.
Remember folks, Always Be Ethical and Always Be Performing. Oh, and press play and enjoy!
- 00:00:00 – Introduction and Sponsor Announcement
- 00:02:05 – Playing with a New Musician and Couples Getaway
- 00:06:06 – Phish Allowing Tempo Changes for Added Energy
- 00:08:34 – The Importance of Tempo and Energy in Live Music
- 00:11:27 – SPONSOR: Capo is the app that gives you song-learning super-powers. In addition to letting you slow-down and loop sections of songs, capo lifts chords, detects beats, and MUCH more. Visit CapoApp.com from SuperMegaUltraGroovy today.
- 00:13:04 – Ethical Dilemma: Band Member Promoting Another Band during Gigs
- 00:14:34 – Striking up conversations and building relationships at venues
- 00:16:28 – Discussing the implications of promoting other projects at gigs
- 00:19:00 – The importance of communication and trust within a band
- 00:21:27 – Timing and manners when discussing other bands with bookers
- 00:24:32 – Policing Business Relationships: Uncool or Necessary?
- 00:26:45 – Respecting the client-provider relationship
- 00:33:40 – The Importance of Communication and Respect in a Band
- 00:36:03 – Lack of Clear Understanding Affects the Enjoyment of Playing
- 00:39:09 – Fear of Confrontation and Lack of Business Acumen in Bands
- 00:42:41 – Open Communication and Facilitating Club Connections
- 00:45:51 – GG 391 Outtro