Your two favorite weekend warriors discussed the busy gigging weekends they recently had, with Dave playing five gigs in 48 hours. They talked about strategies for avoiding leg cramps after late night gigs, and share details in the episode.
Paul and Dave then gave advice for keeping consistent tempos after a Gig Gab community member wrote in saying their band’s songs speed up over time. They emphasized the importance of band-wide awareness and intention, taking moments of silence to get the right tempo, and having the confidence to hold the tempo steady.
Your hosts agreed the drummer can be the timekeeper if the band decides, but fighting over tempo ruins the groove. They stressed that solid tempo comes from the whole band being locked in together.
Always be performing, the hosts advised – keep gigging, but stay aware and keep working on your musical craft.
- 00:00:28 – Busy Week of Gigs For Paul and Dave
- 00:08:55 – Gig Memories: Car Show and Corporate Private Gig
- 00:12:27 – The Evolution and Challenges of Performing New Songs
- 00:20:36 – PODCAST: Waterproof Records. We all remember those albums that changed our lives forever, so if you like to wax nostalgic about those magic moments, check out Waterproof Records with Jacob Givens!
- 00:22:02 – Dealing with leg cramps after gigs and finding solutions
- 00:27:28 – Battling Tempo Creep in Band Performances
- 00:41:37 – Going with the Band’s Tempo, Except in Special Cases
- 00:43:08 – Jonas’s Question Sparks a New Conversation Angle
- 00:43:30 – Gig Gab Outtro