Long-time audio engineer, Andy Dolph, joins Paul and Dave this week to share some tips and tricks for making your band sound its best – and avoid sounding its worst – on GigGab this week. Hear Andy’s microphone recommendations, tips for solving feedback in both the monitors and the mains, mixing advice, and why you should be using a high pass filter on everything. You never thought you wanted to learn about the inverse-square law before, but after listening to today’s show you’ll be glad you did!
- 00:00:00 GigGab 104 – Monday, February 27, 2017
- 00:01:39 Theater sound vs. Rock-and-roll Sound
- 00:07:09 Advice for musicians to make FOH (and on-stage!) sound its best
- 00:09:09 Nothing but vocals in the monitors
- 00:13:47 A case study on a band
- 00:18:05 Which microphone to use?
- 00:22:32 Inverse Square Law
- 00:26:07 When a kick drum can be a problem?
- 00:29:53 The High Pass Filter can be your friend
- 00:36:00 Buy the biggest mixer you can afford (and carry)
- Listening to the room
- Fitting instruments into the mix
- In-ear tips
- 00:37:34 Tuning the PA.
- 00:45:24 Speaker Height and Angle
- 00:49:30 Compaq Big Band