Today your two favorite weekend warriors have a jam session of the spoken kind. Covering topics from early start times, ways to bring the same crowd back again and again, playing for opportunities instead of dollars, and proactively replacing gear, they cover a lot of ground.
Paul and Dave also address the Facebook dilemma that’s been plaguing humans ever since we discovered the ability to argue via text communication in a public forum, aka The Facebook Dilemma. You know your favorite weekend warriors are geeks, and today they wear that on the outside a little bit for you.
Press play, sink in, and enjoy.
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 161 – Monday, April 16, 2018
- 00:02:10 Rest and Recovery Time is important
- 00:02:47 Playing in the sunshine!
- 00:04:43 Early start times for local gigs
- 00:05:27 Know your market
- 00:07:35 Opportunity in the earlier evening
- 00:08:12 Managing an average attendance night
- 00:09:27 Don’t outsmart yourself with your schedule!
- 00:11:35 Creating episodic live music “content”
- 00:16:08 Choose people who don’t want to let others down
- 00:18:02 Being respectful of both the audience and your fellow musicians
- 00:19:27 SPONSOR: TuneLicensing.com – GigGab2018 saves you 15% off licensing fees
- 00:21:39 Should musicians entertain when the venue doesn’t provide compensation
- 00:25:20 Choosing your gigs, eyes wide open!
- 00:28:36 The Facebook dilemma
- 00:30:36 Confirmation Bias: I Think Everyone’s Brave Online
- 00:31:20 Consider the repercussions
- 00:34:24 The 4-way stop point
- 00:36:11 Proactively Replacing Gear
- 00:39:12 Playing the odds!
- 00:43:42 Buy the right gear and protect your gear
- 00:46:09 Gibson Les Paul Clones – Kris Derrig Luthier
- 00:47:29 GG 161 Outtro