How do you define “great”? More importantly: do you and your bandmates share that definition? If not, is there someone in your band to whom you all defer on that topic?
How do you make sure your band comes across “great” all the time?
Paul and Dave think there’s another word that helps this: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. And that comes in a lot of forms. Hear your two favorite weekend warriors talk about on-stage respect, in terms of both how to share frustrations as well as how to approach the substances-on-stage issue. Dress code comes up, as it always will because, after all, music is a visual art.
Or is it?
Listen to find out more!
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 219 – July 15, 2019
- 00:00:44 Intro: Lots-o-Gigs!
- 00:04:57 Intro: Multi-band gigs and song lists
- 00:07:01 R.E.S.P.E.C.T. spells a happy band
- 00:07:20 On-stage Frustration
- “That tone doesn’t work for me”
- The Bowling For Soup Lesson
- 00:17:05 Know your vibe
- 00:18:53 When to talk about substance issues
- 00:31:50 What if someone from Company X is in the audience?
- 00:32:48 Dave’s Dress Rant!
- 00:36:17 Are you a mess?
- 00:37:10 The definition of “Great”
- 00:44:40 The Phish “laid back” attitude
- 00:47:29 Live Music is a Visual Art
- 00:50:43 Ringo Sat in with Paul McCartney!
- 00:53:42 GG 219 Outtro
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 54:11 — 37.6MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS | More
Johnnie D · July 15, 2019 at 3:16 pm
A pretty shirt can’t fix ugly. Garbage is garbage. Fun, first and always. Music second. Crowd engagement third and count yourself fortunate, I’m wearing clothes at all, dead last. LOL.
dave · July 15, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Haha, Johnnie D. You can’t weasel out of this one… I’ve never seen you walk on stage looking like a slob (and I’ve seen you look like a slob!). You definitely put intention into what you wear on stage and you definitely have your own “look”. It might not be David Bowie’s look, but it’s a look all the same, and it’s consistent.
Johnnie D · July 15, 2019 at 3:49 pm