Brad Madix, Front-of-House Engineer for Rush, Bruce Hornsby, Shania Twain, Shakira, Queensrÿche, Jane’s Addiction, Mr. Big, and more joins Paul and Dave today to chat sound, mixing, stories, and Gig Gab!
Brad’s tales and advice are endless – and endlessly valuable! Listen to hear Brad share stories about finding himself behind the console in an arena for the first time, tweaking Geddy Lee’s bass sound, taking the stage with Queensrÿche, and so much more.
Brad also shares his tips and advice about getting the sound right in clubs, large and small, trusting your ears, and protecting your hearing in the process.
A man who happily says that he has “years of practice” in the space tells us all why we should “never runs towards a fire.”
Press play and enjoy, folks. This is a good one!
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 255 – Monday, May 4, 2020
- Brad Madix – FOH Sound, Diablo Digital, And More
- John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, Rush, Bruce Hornsby, Shania Twain, Shakira, Jane’s Addiction, Mr. Big, and More.
- The Early Years
- The Rush Trust Equation
- Tweaking Geddy Lee’s Bass Sound
- Four inputs: clean, gritty, and massively distorted (times two!)
- Strings on a Rock Stage
- Mr. Big’s friends showed up.
- Live: condensers vs. dynamics
- “Years of Practice”
- Game-Changing Live Sound Tech
- Line Arrays
- Christian Heil and the V-DOSC System
- Digital Consoles
- Line Arrays
- Mix the First Song In Your Head
- It starts with the drummer!
- Club Tips!
- Vocals have to win
- Guitar Solos need to be heard
- Don’t cut everything from the EQ!
- Live with What you Have: the PA in the Room
- Hearing Protection Tips
- Manage your volume over time
- Measure your SPLs
- Target 97dB
- Manage your headphone volume (keep it low!)
- Buy quality earplugs
- But test with foam, because that’s what the audience is hearing!
- When do we tour again?
- Diablo Digital
- Recording and archiving multi-track recordings of live shows
- Brad Madix, jazz piano interlude, Queensryche, Here in the Now Frontier Tour
- 01:03:30 GG 255 Outtro