This week, Mike Schulte, drummer for The Pork Tornadoes, joins Dave Hamilton and Paul Kent for an exciting look into running a top-tier cover band. Mike shares the unique approach that The Pork Tornadoes adopt in the cover band scene, with a spotlight on their original sensibilities and a well-thought-out division of labor that underpins their success. You’ll travel through the group’s engaging journey from selecting their “distinctive” name to captivating crowds of 20,000 strong with their performances.
You’ll gain insights into the critical moments and deliberate strategies of The Pork Tornadoes, from effective branding and logistical management to business expansion and gig diversification. Mike underscores the importance of knowing your worth and being ready for rejection, coupled with the imperative to advertise shows widely to build a supportive fan base.
You’ll learn how strategic use of scarcity and VIP options can not only boost event sales but also transform attendees into valued fans. With a commitment to “Always Be Performing”, you’ll be intrigued by the band’s hustle, strategic planning, and undying passion in the music industry.
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 399 – Tuesday, October 10th, 2023
- 00:01:54 Special Guest: Mike Schulte, Drummer for The Pork Tornadoes
- Bringing Original Sensibilities to the Cover Band
- 00:10:05 Division of Labor (in a Cover Band)
- 00:13:00 Naming the Band
- 00:14:41 Numbers
- 00:14:53 20,000 People
- 00:15:45 What’s the Formula?
- 00:18:06 Critical Moments in The Pork Tornadoes’ history
- 00:21:15 SPONSOR: Bandzoogle — Listeners can go to Bandzoogle.com to try it free for 30 days, and use the promo code “giggabpod” to get 15% off the first year of any subscription.
- 00:23:03 Brand Everything
- 00:24:29 Managing Logistics
- 00:26:26 Expanding the Business
- 00:31:32 Variety of Gigs
- 00:34:11 Get Paid What You’re Worth
- 00:37:10 Be Prepared to Not Get The Gig
- You Sell Booze!
- 00:41:35 Advertise Your Shows Everywhere
- Facebook Background Ads
- 00:44:24 Fourwalling Your Own Events
- Scarcity Sells (when used properly)
- VIP Options are even better
- Treat them like fans!
- 00:51:39 What’s the end like?
- 00:55:09 What is Confused Breakfast?
- 00:57:43 GG 399 Outtro