Dan Meblin, leader of San Francisco Bay Area band “Pop Fiction” joins Paul and Dave this week to talk through running a successful cover/party/function band. Dan and his bandmates created Pop Fiction after playing together in a band catering to a similar market, and Dan’s history includes both playing in original bands and working in the Silicon Valley technology world.
Dan talks us through creating and marketing Pop Fiction, of course, but also some of the particulars. An on-the-fly segment, “Dan’s Tips for How to Treat a Venue Well” includes a great detour into setting up your own in-ears rack so that you can have perfect stage sound everywhere with very little adjustments needed at each venue.
Dan’s got a lot to share, and share he does. You’re gonna love this one. Press play, listen, and enjoy. Thanks, Dan!
- 00:00:00 Gig Gab 197 – Monday, January 21, 2019
- 00:00:45 The snow policy… was enacted!
- 00:02:14 Dan Meblin from Pop Fiction
- 00:03:06 Eric Martin Band and Dan’s history
- 00:05:57 “You Have to Learn To Love Those Cover Songs”
- 00:08:20 Running your own band
- 00:10:37 How did you know what you’re doing?
- 00:11:40 “This Band Sounds Really Good”
- 00:13:02 Gotta play Public Shows
- 00:13:38 Follow-ups are key
- 00:16:12 Venue managers are also your agents
- 00:17:50 SPONSOR: ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN.com/GIGGAB gets you 3 months free with your 1-year subscription
- 00:20:01 Dan’s Tips for How to Treat a Venue Well
- Don’t leave garbage with your name on it!
- Do a Site Check (size, parking, load-in, electricity, schmoozing)
- Know and Follow The Rules (avoid the bar!)
- Manage Your Volume
- 00:25:07 Make in-ears a band-wide priority
- 00:32:51 Presentation matters: “Dressy Flashy”
- “You Want to Look Expensive”
- “Don’t look like a waiter”
- 00:36:33 Expanding your business options
- 00:41:19 Intellistage to the rescue
- 00:44:50 Managing Rehearsals for a Working Band
- 00:46:39 jamLink for distant rehearsals (2010!!)
- 00:51:26 GG 197 Outtro